Archaeology & Historic Resource Services, LLC (AHRS) is a small woman-owned cultural resource firm based in Orange County, NY. We offer highly competitive compensation and are searching for motivated and innovative people to join our team for the 2016 field season. AHRS is seeking seasonal archaeological field technicians (up to 10) and crew chiefs (up to 2) for field investigations for projects in NY, NJ and eastern PA. Projects vary from private developments to government work including Superfund sites. Work is expected to begin in spring and be ongoing through the spring and possibly summer of 2016.
· Conduct Phase I/II/III excavations, site documentation, GPS mapping, and field analysis.
· Identification of historic and pre-contact period sites, artifacts, and features in the Northeast and Mid- Atlantic.
· Conduct pedestrian and subsurface testing inventory.
· Creation of site and feature plan and profile maps, map reading and navigation, and GPS/GIS navigation and recordation.
· Field analysis of artifacts, site characteristics, archaeological deposits, soils and sediments.
· Accurately record field data and observations as legible handwritten notes.
· Conduct fieldwork activities in a safe and responsible manner.
· Ability to travel and generally able to carry a pack up to 30 pounds while hiking, physically traverse up to 5 miles a day, and conduct excavation and shovel testing activities throughout a standard work day, often in adverse conditions and remote areas.
· Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, respectful of others, positive, energetic, and have ability to work on own and/or participate in team environment.
· Current valid driver license.
· Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
· B.A. or B.S. in Archaeology, Anthropology, or similar field of study.
· 1 -10 years of experience in the archaeological/cultural resources field.
· Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent fieldwork experience.
· OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER training (preferred).
· NYC 10-hour Construction Site training (preferred).
· Experience with Trimble handheld units (preferred).
· Current First aid training (preferred).
Hotel and per diem is provided for appropriate projects. Extended employment on additional projects outside of the NY/NJ/PA area may be possible. Please submit a cover letter, indicating salary requirements and availability, along with your CV/resume as a PDF or Word file AHRS, at Maria.Audin@AHRServices.com. Please mention the position you are applying for in your cover letter and include salary requirements. If you have previously worked for AHRS please just send an email with your availability on it.
Drug screening maybe required for some projects. AHRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.